« Egyptomaniac | Main | Wendel White’s "Manifest" »

February 08, 2011

TrackBack

TrackBack URL for this entry:
http://www.typepad.com/services/trackback/6a0105363c53a6970c0148c877aa6a970c

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Integrative Health and the Health Care Law: An Interview with Dr. Meg Jordan:

Comments

Jay Hurwitz

"When we take care of everyone, we all tend have a better health outcome". I agree with this statement. I also agree with the concept that if you give a man fish he will not be hungry today, but if you teach him how to fish he will never be hungry. I think that the healthcare initiative to date has been "giving men fish". It is attempting to give people access to treatment, but it is not doing anything effective to teach people how to prevent disease and illness.

I have recently come upon some interesting and relevant stats. The CDC tells us the national childhood obesity rate has nearly tripled in the past 30 years. Over the same time, health spending in America has followed the same trend. In 1965, health spending in America, as a % of GDP, was 5%. In 2010 it was 18%. It steadily rose in the intervening years. If the rising trend in obesity is not halted and reversed, it will continue to consume an increasing % of GDP as the years go by. It is my view that the rising trend of obesity in this country will not be halted and reversed until there is a MASSIVE education campaign that teaches people, children and adults alike, about nutrition, healthy eating and the need to lead a physically active lifestyle to live a healthy life. The campaign needs to be of the order of magnitude of the anti smoking campaign. I think that such a campaign should be a major pillar of the healthcare initiative.

The comments to this entry are closed.

Twitter Updates

follow me on Twitter

January 2013

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
        1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9 10 11 12
    13 14 15 16 17 18 19
    20 21 22 23 24 25 26
    27 28 29 30 31